Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Summer Fruit Salad





As a child I used to look forward to the 2 month long summer vacations. The thought of meeting up with cousins, spending time with grandparents, gorging on some delicious food always brought a smile to my lips. Most of my vacations were spent at my grandparents place. Neither did we go to any special summer classes or hobby classes; nor can I say that I had a big gang of friends at my grandparents place. But somehow, I don’t remember getting bored.

I remember we had a kind of routine even during our holidays. We used to wake up, (not very early morning), spend at least an hour solving math problems and writing a page of cursive handwriting (Loads of importance was given to handwriting then) and then the rest of the day was ours. I remember spending most of the time playing some silly games with my brother and a girl who lived in the opposite house. Though we had our set of quarrels, but we’d become friends with the same speed as we fought. Apart from playing, I read books, helped mom in small ways, loved to listen to stories from my grandma and there my vacations would’ve come to an end and it would be time to pack our bags. Wish I could get into a time machine and go back to those good old days.

As the saying goes, “Change is the only constant”, times have really changed. Today, if you ask a child about his plans for the holidays, you’ll be amazed to know that he has a busier schedule than a working adult. From dawn to dusk, he attends a minimum of 4 to 5 classes – anything from, swimming, cricket coaching, tennis, yoga, karate, art and craft, western dance, abacus and what not. The options before him are just too many. Caught in this busy hustle, today’s child has lost the simple joys of life – like reading a comic, chatting up with a cousin/friend or just playing around in the front yard. 

I do understand that these classes are a great way to learn something new and interesting. Keeping them engaged in these classes for 1 or 2 hours sounds good but not the entire day. At the end of the day, they are still children aren’t they?

Now off to today’s recipe, which is a really simple salad perfect for the scorching heat and for times when you don’t feel like being in the kitchen for more than 10 minutes.



What you’ll need
  1. Watermelon – 1 cup, deseeded and cubed
  2. Papaya – 1 cup, deseeded and cubed
  3. Apple – ½ cup, cored and cubed
  4. Cucumber – ½ cup, deseeded and cubed
  5. Dressing
  6. Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
  7. Ginger Juice – 1 tbsp
  8. Honey – 1 tbsp
  9. Mint Leaves – 5 to 6, torn
  10. Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
  11. Salt
Method
  1. Chill the chopped fruits until serving.
  2. Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and refrigerate till use. Make the dressing at least half an hour before serving.
  3. While serving, Place the fruits in a bowl and drizzle the dressing liberally. Add salt to taste. Toss well and serve.




Linking this to
Show me your HITS – hosted by Julie



27 comments:

Amarendra said...

A very refreshing and colorful salad.

Vineetha Sush said...

Good write up Kaveri...I totally agree with about the kids of these generations...poor kids !
Nice summer salad :)

Hema said...

Very colorful and refreshing salad, I fully agree with you about today's kids, even I used to spend my summers just like you, but if u suggest that to the kids now, they wud ask, were you not bored..

hotpotcooking said...

Well said, Kaveri. Nice salad

anjana said...

very healthy and refreshing salad..nice post..

Roshni said...

Simple joys of life. I also miss the summer hols. Roaming around with friends, reading comics and stuff like that was all we did. such fun

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely salad and an even lovely post, you are absolutely right about the ways the kids spend their summer vacation.

Tina said...

Healthy and delicious...

Prathima Rao said...

Colorful & a perfect cooling summer salad...
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Archana said...

Looks yum dear. I do agree with you we parents seem to expect our children to excel in all these summer classes. Unnecessary pressure.

Unknown said...

Salad looks colourfull and yumm.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very colorful and delicious looking fruit salad.

Deepa

Shobha said...

I like my fruit salad with a pich of salt and pepper too.

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

I loved reading this post; food and childhood memories are inextricably linked, and I often find that my own craving for a particular taste will conjure up memories from years ago. Your fruit salad looks very tempting, healthy and cooling :)In the summer holidays, my mum would make raspberry Pavlova or peach Melba as a treat and we would eat it in the garden.Or sometimes I would just help myself from all the fruit bushes! Kids today do miss out on these simple pleasures as they are scheduled into such tight routines: I do believe they also need time to relax, reflect and just be and that this is just as important for their development as courses and classes. They end up being more creative when they have to make their own entertainment.

Julie said...

Lovely post,Kaveri..loved reading and reminded me my childhood days too,Today's kids almost misses that part of life which we enjoyed!!
BTB,The salad looks rich with all fruits & cucumbers,with ginger flavor!!
Thanx a lot dear for linking up with the events!!

Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
in the following ongoing events-
Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

Swathi said...

Delicious and colorful fruit salad. Love your dressing. Hubby used to eat papaya with rock salt.

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Very refreshing n perfect one's for summer. That was a nice read Kaveri, took me back to childhood :-)

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Refreshing and healthy fruit salad,loved the dressing...looks yum.....

Priya Suresh said...

Totally agree with you, heard that even my sis's daughters are going 5summer classes, we never had this kind of hectic schedule na, thats y we have so many nostalgic moments about our summer vacations even now..Btw salad looks super refreshing and colourful.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

Delicious and colorful salad, even i make this often. My daughter's fav

Vardhini said...

Healthy treat for summer.

Vardhini
CooksJoy

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Refreshing salad..

Sumee said...

Yummy combo of fruits... I love watermelon salads during summer. they are so refereshing isn't it..thnx for linkjing up.

Faseela said...

lovely healthy n attractive salad dear....yummy

Vidhya said...

Totally agree with you on kids plight wish more parents understand that kids get to be kids only now.Refreshing and delicious salad.

Sobha Shyam said...

so healthy, colourful and apt for the summer days :)

follow foodie said...

Planning to make this today
http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...