Monday, February 14, 2011

Pav Bhaji

I am very excited today, as this is my first post for a blog event. Though, I am sharing some of the traditional Palakkad Iyer recipes through my blog, I would like to contribute other recipes also which I have learnt from here and there. So here comes my first post on something which is not native to Palakkad – Pav Bhaji.

This Indian street food widely popular in West India has gained appreciation all over India. It is one of my favorite too. Whenever we visit a chaat bhandar, my daughter's pick would be Pav Bhaji. She loves the buttered pavs very much. The bhaji is usually a little spicy and so I decided to try my hand at making this at home, customized to my daughter's taste buds. She really adores them. Pav means bread and Bhaji translates to vegetables. This combination of mashed veggies with pav is quite filling and can be consumed as a light evening meal. Here is the recipe for the not so spicy Pav Bhaji:



Ingredients                         (Serves: 2-3)

For the Bhaji

1.        Potatoes – 2 Medium sized
2.       Carrots – 2
3.       Green Peas – ½ Cup
4.       Onions – 2 Big
5.       Tomatoes – 2 Big
6.       Capsicum - 1
7.       Garlic – 2 or 3 pods
8.       Turmeric Powder – a pinch
9.       Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
10.   Pav Bhaji Masala – 1 tsp
11.   Butter – 2 tbsp
12.   Coriander for garnishing

For the Pav

1.       Pav Bun – as required
2.       Butter for toasting

Method

Cook potatoes, carrots and peas in a pressure cooker (You can add cauliflower also).  Finely chop onions, garlic, capsicum and tomatoes.

Heat a Kadai, add a tbsp of butter. Saute chopped onions, when the onions turn translucent, add garlic and saute for 2 mins. Next add the capsicum and sauté for another 2 mins. After that add the chopped tomatoes and fry. Now add a pinch of turmeric powder, Chilly powder, and Pav Bhaji Masala. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy and oil leaves the sides of the Kadai. Now, mash the cooked vegetables and add it to the onion tomato masala. Add salt to taste. Add some water and adjust consistency. The bhaji should be of semi solid consistency. Simmer for a few minutes. Serve garnished with chopped onions, coriander lemon wedges and a blob of butter.

To serve the pav
Heat a tava, slice the pav lengthwise almost till the end and toast it with butter on both sides.

Yummy  Pav Bhaji is ready. I also submit this Srivalli's Kids Delight - Indian Street Food


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooohhhh...!!!! Lovely lovely pav bhajji.... it looks delicious..
Reva

Shilpi Bose said...

Here is how you can collect the award,Reshmi showed me how, go to new posts , click on images after you click you will find several options on the left one of them is 'from URL', click on it and you will find a space where you can paste the URL, now for the stylish blog award this is the URL:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ry8luDfcQH4/TUo6EXZfBgI/AAAAAAAAACc/zK05EMn749g/s1600/stylish-blogger.jpg

Paste it and you will get the image.For the other award you can click on the image in my blog and it will open into a page, you can copy this URL, in case you have problem here is the URL for this award as well:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t7tqGOWOmGc/TUfajtlEpdI/AAAAAAAAAqY/yLEdhsFmHAc/s1600/Lovely%252Bblog.jpg

if you have any problem let me know, you can email me at itistastyma@gmail.com

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry Kavari..

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Looks fantastic. First time here, I love your recipes.

aipi said...

Ahh..my all time fav..your platter looks very very tempting :)

US Masala

KrithisKitchen said...

So yummy.. love your chaat!

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...