Friday, February 4, 2011

Keerai Molagootal




Molagootal is a distinctive palakkad Brahmin dish. Molagootal is a mildly spiced dish made of a combination of vegetables, lentils and coconut. Since it is lightly spiced it is an instant hit with adults and kids alike. People from Tanjore prepare a slightly modified version of molagootal which they call Porichakootu.
Keerai molagootal can be prepared using any of the greens like ara keerai, mola keerai, paruppu keerai, thanda keerai or palak keerai. Keerai molagootal can be served with steaming hot white rice and some side dish like Thenga Thuvayal, Vendakai Pachadi, or Pulikuthi Upperi. Posts on thses will follow soon. So let’s get started with Keerai Molagootal.

(Serves: 3- 4)

Ingredients       

1.       Spinach – 2 Big Bunches
2.       Tuvar Dal – 3 – 4 Tblsp
3.       Grated Coconut – ½ Cup
4.       White Urad Dal – 1 tsp
5.       Dried Red Chillies – 1
6.       Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
7.       Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
8.       Salt to taste
9.       Coconut Oil  - 2 tsps
Picture updated on 15/5/2013


Method

Pressure cook the dal. Clean and wash the Spinach very well. Chop it roughly. Boil the spinach in very little water for about 5 mins. Allow to cool. Run the cooked spinach in a mixer for just a few seconds. Transfer the ground spinach into a vessel. In a small pan, heat a tsp of oil fry the urad dal and red chilly till dal turns light brown. Grind this along with coconut and cumin seeds into a paste using little water. Mash the dal well. Add the ground coconut paste to the dal. Add salt to taste. Bring this mixture to boil for 2 mins stirring constantly. Then add the ground Spinach. Check the consistency. Molagootal is neither very thick nor thin. Simmer for 2 to 3 mins. (Do not boil for long after adding spinach as this will result in discoloring the spinach). Heat a tsp of coconut oil, add mustard seeds. Once it starts spluttering add it to the molagootal.
Keerai molagootal is ready to serve.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your first Award - I know how satisfying that can be - I was totally psyched by mine first one - And thank you SO much for sharing it with me - Honored :)Please do keep visiting my blog - Palaghat Samayal is excellent - my husband's from Tirunelveli and they have some similarity in that they use lots of thengai :)May Many more awards come your way ..

Mani said...

Hello Mrs.Kaveri, i would like to thank you for this wonderful information you are sharing with us. Although being born n brought up in chennai, my parents and my wife's side all are from palakkad and i have been used to this cooking only.

Now abroad and away from family was missing home food very badly and with this information, i managed to make keerai molagootal which is one of my favourite dishes.

Please please please please do post more palakkad receipes here.

God bless you and your family.

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Thanks a lot Mr. Mani. Its just a small initiative from my side to keep our traditional recipes alive and a place to pen down my other experiments in the kitchen. Keep visiting my space..You have made my day with your comment.

If you have any other special recipe request please do let me know

Revathy said...

I am at my mother's house for Deepawali & just ate Keerai Molagootal here. Love to see a similar post on your space :)

Happy Deepawali!

Anonymous said...

It is in reality a nice and useful piece of info.
I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us.

Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
My web page > apartments for rent

Anonymous said...

Tried Milagootal and it tasted awesome. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

swetha said...

Perfect proportions,tried this today and for the first time had the molagutal tasting as it should.
Thanks Swaps
Swe

Pramila said...

Hi,

Thank you so much yor recepies remind me of my mother who I just lost. Thank you so much I have tried and tested and have succeeded. God Bless you and your family. Pramila





Pramila said...

Hi,

Thankyou so much for the recepies, just made it and it tasted just how my mother (who I lost recently)
makes it.May God Bless you and your family. Thankyou once again. Pramila

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that my daughter is trying out all your receiipes . She liked this Keerai molugutal which is our all time Sunday receipe in chennai . Hailing fron vadakkencherry Viji

Unknown said...

Hi Ms. Venkatesh, I just made keerai molagootal for the very first time using your recipe and it came out splendidly! Reminds me of my mother's cooking back home. Thanks so much for all your efforts in posting these authentic recipes. Really enjoyed it :)

Sudha said...

Dear Ms.Kaveri, I happened to come across your blog when I was searching for some recipe. I am basically from palakkad but have lived outside Kerala but my mom was an excellent cook and I enjoyed her cooking without learning how she managed to dish out such tasty food. Now when I have a doubt which is to be cleared, she is not here any more to do it for me but I found your recipes and blog a substitute for my mom. Thank you so much :)

deviousdiv said...

I'm curious that you use tuvar dal- isn't molagootal usually made with mung dal?

Anonymous said...

Same recipe I use, but wiwth Mung daal

Achutharaman said...

thanks for this receipe. we really loved it

Anonymous said...

As 70 year old I long for some good palakkad food reminiscent of my mothers cooking.you recipes will bring these back to my table after many many years thank you.Narayan

Anonymous said...

As 70 year old I long for some good palakkad food reminiscent of my mothers cooking.you recipes will bring these back to my table after many many years thank you.Narayan

Anonymous said...

You are doing a noble service by running this blog. God bless. Veena

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful kootan. Thank you for sharing this just the way it is made at my home. This is indeed a great service you are doing

SIVARAM said...

Thengaya pallu palla keeri, velicha ennaila sivakka varuthu potta....aga amirtham....

Anonymous said...

Wonderful recipe.. Thanks for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...